Important Updates Regarding Roth IRAs Under SECURE Act 2.0
We are excited to bring your attention to some significant developments regarding Roth IRAs and the recent SECURE Act 2.0. This legislation introduces key provisions that could greatly impact your retirement and financial planning strategies. Below, we outline the five main provisions related to Roth accounts and provide actionable steps for you to consider.
- 529-to-Roth IRA Rollovers: SECURE Act 2.0 now allows penalty-free rollovers from 529 college savings plans to Roth IRAs, under certain limitations. This opens an opportunity for encouraging Section 529 contributions and optimizing your retirement planning.
- Employer Matching Contributions: The Act enhances Roth retirement options by enabling employer matching and non-elective contributions to be directly made to a Roth retirement plan. This change offers an additional way to grow your Roth accounts, taking advantage of employer contributions.
- Catch-up Contributions for High Earners: High-wage earners will be required to use the Roth option for catch-up contributions starting in 2024. However, certain nuances exist, and it’s crucial to understand how this provision may impact your retirement strategy.
- Roth SIMPLE and SEP Plans: As of 2023, Roth contributions are now allowed for Savings Incentive Match Plans for Employees (SIMPLE) IRAs and Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) IRAs. This expansion offers valuable options for business owners and employees in smaller businesses.
- No RMDs for Employer Roth Accounts: Effective from 2024, RMDs will be eliminated from Roth 401(k), 403(b), and 457(b) plans. This change could reshape distribution strategies and prompt discussions on tax planning.
As always, we are here to support you in making informed decisions that align with your financial goals. If you have any questions or would like to explore these provisions further, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Your financial well-being remains our top priority, and we look forward to guiding you through these changes.
SERVICES WE OFFER RELATED TO THIS TOPIC
The information contained in this post is for general use and educational purposes only. However, we do offer specific services to our clients to help them implement the strategies mentioned above. For specific information and to determine if these services may be a good fit for you, please select any of the services listed below.
The 4x4 Financial Independence Plan ℠
Coaching and Consulting
Asset ProtectionThe latest data breach may have you worried about your personal information. Learn about a simple step...
Retirement PlanningThere are eight common money behavior patterns or “archetypes” battling it out in every investor....
Tax PlanningIn This Issue: Donating Clothing to Goodwill and the Salvation Army Deduct Travel by Car, Train, Plane, or...
Investment Advisory Services are offered through Lifetime Financial, Inc., a Registered Investment Advisory. Insurance and other financial products and services are offered through Lifetime Paradigm, Inc. or Lifetime Paradigm Insurance Services. Neither Lifetime Financial, Inc. nor Lifetime Paradigm, Inc., or its associates and subsidiaries provide any specific tax or legal advice. Only guidance is provided in these areas. For specific recommendations please consult with a qualified, licensed Advisor. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Your results can and will vary. Investments are subject to risk, including market and interest rate fluctuations. Investors can and do lose money and, unless otherwise noted, they are not guaranteed. Information provided is for educational purposes only and is not intended for the sale or purchase of any specific securities product, service or investment strategy. BE SURE TO FIRST CONSULT WITH A QUALIFIED FINANCIAL ADVISER, TAX PROFESSIONAL, OR ATTORNEY BEFORE IMPLEMENTING ANY STRATEGY OR RECOMMENDATION DISCUSSED HEREIN.
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone (800) 810-1736 and delete the original message.
This notice is required by IRS Circular 230, which regulates written communications about federal tax matters between tax advisors and their clients. To the extent the preceding correspondence and/or any attachment is a written tax advice communication, it is not a full "covered opinion." Accordingly, this advice is not intended and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS.